Error 797 in Windows 7 operating system is related to the network connection. The full description of this error is “The connection failed because the modem or other connecting device failed. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting device is installed.” It was reported mostly in following cases:
1. While trying to connect to the internet
2. While establishing a Dial-Up Connection
3. After setting-up a Network Connection
4. After setting-up a PPTP Connection
5. While using Microsoft Office Outlook, Windows Live Mail programs or Outlook Express.
Ways to fix this problem:
1. Reinstall the Network Adapter
2. Resolve Network Related Registry Entries
3. Restart the Plug and Play Service
4. Update Network Driver Software
5. Restore the Unwanted Changes that you had made with Network Settings
6. Delete and Recreate the Email Accounts in corresponding email management program
Reinstall the Network Adapter
The error 797 in Windows 7 may occur if your network adapter is not properly installed. To reinstall the network adapter properly, do below steps:
1. Click Start.
2. Type Device Manager in the Search Box.
3. Expand the following:
ii. Network Adapters
4. Right click the modem or network adapter, and select Uninstall option.
5. Restart the computer.
6. After booting-up the system, the Add New Hardware wizard may launch. If it doesn’t, continue the below steps.
7. Repeat the above Steps 1 and 2 again.
8. Right click your computer name, and select Scan for hardware changes.
9. Install the network adapter after it is being detected.
Resolve Network Related Registry Entries
In most cases we had seen, the error 797 was persisting due to the junk registry entries related to the network and connection settings. Such types of registry junk prohibit your computer from connecting to the internet and showing the error 797.
You are recommended to scan the whole registry and fix the errors found.
Restart the Plug and Play Service
Turning off the Plug and Play Service may result in the error 797 in Windows 7 operating system. Follow the below instructions to restart this service:
1. Click Start button.
2. Type Services, and press ENTER.
3. Double click the service named Plug and Play.
4. From the Startup Type drop down box, select Automatic option.
5. Click Start button to start the service immediately.
6. Click OK | OK.
Note: No need to restart the machine if the service is immediately started.
Update Network Driver Software
Outdated network driver software may lead to Error 797 in Windows 7. Download the latest updates for your network driver from the respective modem manufacturer company.
Restore the Unwanted Changes that you had made with Network Settings
If the error 797 in Windows 7 persists after you had made some changes in Network Settings, or after you had tried to create a new connection, restore them back. To perform this job, use System Restore in the following manner.
1. Click Start |All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Restore.
2. Click Next button.
3. Select a system restore point, if available.
4. Click Next, and follow the on screen instructions.
Delete and Recreate the Email Accounts in Outlook Express/ Windows Live Mail
If the error 797 is appearing while sending new emails or receiving incoming emails with Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail or Microsoft Office Outlook, delete and recreate the email accounts. Follow these steps:
1. Open Microsoft Office Outlook 2010.
2. Click Tools | Account Settings.
3. Select the account where you are getting the error 797, and click Remove button.
4. Confirm the action, if prompted.
5. Click New button and follow the wizard to recreate the same.
Easy Way to Fix Error 797