Yesterday history was made in the commercial space travel industry with the successful launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. The CEO of SpaceX, Elon Musk, is one of our favorite entrepreneurs. A little about Mr. Musk:
– Born and raised in South Africa
– Holds degrees in business and physics from the University of Penn
– Entered a graduate program at Stanford University for applied physics and materials science
– Dropped out of Stanford after 2 days to start the Zip2 Corporation with his brother which eventually sold for $307 million in cash and $34 million in stock options
– Co-founded PayPal in 1999 which eventually sold for $1.5 billion
– Founded Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) in 2008
– Co-Founded Tesla Motors the electric sports car company the same year
– Chairman of the Board at Solar City, a photovoltaics startup company led by his cousin
– Chairman of the Musk Foundation which focuses philanthropic efforts on health, clean energy, and science education
– The main character (genius billionaire Tony Stark) in the movie Iron Man is based on Elon’s life
– Married to a beautiful actress
After a series of test flights SpaceX will be ready to begin flying cargo and eventually astronauts to the International Space Station. When asked about SpaceX last July Elon was quoted as saying:
“We want to see a future where we are exploring the stars, where we’re going to other planets, where we’re doing the great things that we read about in science fiction and in the movies”.
When considering what Mr. Musk as already accomplished in his life, commercial space flight seems extremely probable.