The latest ARK Survival Evolved update has brought in a lot of changes to the game, but the biggest for many fans has been what has happened to flyers.
Studio Wildcard confirmed last year that they plan to slowly bring down the strength of tamed dinos and this latest change to aerial combat looks to be a major one.
The full ARK Survival Evolved update patch notes reveal the extent of the tune down, confirming:
- A long time in the making, air combat is now being brought in-line with overall nerfs to things such as health, weight, speed, and stamina.
- Stamina: across the board 50% decrease to base stamina (not including moth) and per-level stamina increase amount.
- Increased stamina recovery time for flyers.
- Don’t allow the recovery stamina in the air if creature is being ridden or if a player is standing on it.
- No speed upgrade. This clears the existing level-up speed stats and gives the points back to you to spend elsewhere.
- Made passenger carrying weight scaling 1.0 for flyers.
- Increased wyvern elemental stamina cost.
- Riding speed of flyers decreased by 10-30%.
- Decreased quetz per-level hp.
- Added a 3 second cooldown to Ptera barrel roll.
While there was a lot other new features added to the game, including new Tek Tier base options and teleporters, Wildcard released a big statement explaining their decision to nerf flyers.
And while there is no current ETA on when the new update will reach ARK Survival Evolved PS4 and Xbox One players, Wildcard has confirmed that new changes to the flyer nerf will be added through a soon-to-be released Flyer Nerf V2 patch.
“I think everyone on the team realises that at the core of every frustrated poster is someone who enjoys the game and truly wants what is best for it,” a message from the community management team reads.
“People are upset because they don’t believe that we have made the right decision and we’re taking it in a direction that not only ruins their previous play experience, but seeks to change their future play experience too. I totally get why that is super frustrating, especially if it’s something they didn’t want.
“I want to reassure everyone that your thoughts and ideas, complaints and critique, it is being heard. The loud and the quiet, we’ve been reading as much as humanly possible.
“The team have multiple spreadsheets setup that a bunch of us have been using to collect information and values on edits that we’d like to make in the coming days as part of v2 of the Flyer Nerf.”